Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mama!

Mama… Mama?... Mama!... MAMA!

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I hear all day long. If I had a dollar for every time my children said mama, my money woes would be over. Not only do they say mama fifty million times a day, they say it fifty million ways, too! OK, I’m exaggerating a little, but not much. Mom, mommy and mama are pretty much interchangeable in my house. Since I clearly don’t have enough things to do, I figured I’d see how kids all around the world yell mama in their houses, too.

I found a site that list how to say mom in many different languages. In French it’s Mere, German it’s Mutter, Hindi it’s Maji and Dutch it’s Moeder. Just as I was starting to get excited and ready to teach my children a new language - just to break up the monotony a little bit - I looked up mother on Wikipedia. Apparently, mama or something very similar is widely used around the world. It even says mama, borrowed from the English, is widely used in Japan. What! Japan? Wow. There’s no escaping it.

So I guess, mama it is. I don’t know, I’m thinking of switching to Makuahine - that’s mother in Hawaiian - just to stir things up. What do your kids call you? Makuahine wants to know…

Smiles,
Wifey

0 comments: