Wednesday, June 18, 2008

More Sex than Singles

It’s Hump Day at Wifey’s House, the one day a week I dish about sex.

I was reading an article online about sex starved marriages and how many couples are finding themselves “too busy” or “too tired” to have sex. The article had some interesting statistics in it including how many times per year married couples have sex – 68.5 times or a little more than once a week, according to a study done by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago. The statistic that I found most interesting, or ironic, is that married people have 6.9 more sexual encounters a year than non married people.

Doesn’t that counter act the myths that we always hear? Married couples never have sex. Apparently some do, and more often than the single folks. While I take it with a grain of salt – it did appear in the article titled “We’re not in the Mood” – it still tickles me.

For many couples, once a week is blessing and for others it’s not enough. Sex is a very personal and touchy subject – literally. The frequency of it should be determined by the couple themselves, not by myths, society or statistics. While our lives often throw roadblocks in front of us that can make it difficult to find time for sex, it’s so important that we do.

So how about you? Do you know how often you and your spouse have sex and are you both satisfied with it? This week, put some thought and time into your sex life and what you can do to keep going.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

2 comments:

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

I'm not surprised by that statistic. I've alway felt that married couples have more sex - you don't have to worry about who to "hook up" with or if you will "get lucky". He's there, I'm there and hopefully, our child is not there. There's more opportunity.

I have no clue how often my husband and I are able to have sex - I don't really count, lol. We do it when the mood strikes and don't when we are too busy, tired, or have a child sleeping with us (obviously). I think we are happy with our arrangement. He hasn't complained to me, or I to him. It works for us. No pressure.

Unknown said...

Corinne, you're my idol - smiles! Thanks for weighing in!