Friday, January 23, 2009

Superwoman is Overrated

Friday’s confession…

I’m not Superwoman.

Gasp!

But that’s OK, ‘cause no one is.

Even though I dedicated a whole section in my book to dispelling the Superwoman – or Superwifey – myth sometimes I still need a reminder.

I, like most new millennium women, often try to do everything myself. The kids, work, homework, exercise, cleaning, cooking, laundry, more work, more kids stuff, the dog, Husband, deadlines and of course all of these things happen with me looking picture perfect in a cute, no, sexy outfit with flawless hair and make up, perfectly painted nails and a permanent smile plastered on my face.

Right.

I love my life and I’m truly thankful that I have all of these things to do. I’m even more thankful that they don’t have to be done all at the same time.

I had a wonderful work week. Ideas were flowing; writing was effortless so I naturally stayed in that zone. Which also means I naturally did not clean the house, take the dog to get her bath, organize my daughter’s closet and my toes are not painted.

At first I felt guilty for not knocking out my To Do list. Then I realized my To Do list had way too much "To Do" on it and I should celebrate all the things that I did do.

I like being productive. Multi-tasking – with in reason – is one of the best skills you can posses, but being Superwoman is overrated – and will eventually cause you to have a super break down.

How about you? Do you try and take on more than is humanly possible? Take off the red cape – and the pressure – and leave the superhero work to the superheroes.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

3 comments:

Ms. Wanda said...

You know Karyn White said it all in her song "Superwoman", that one lyric, "Boy I am only Human" That's it right there when you say that everybody should just leave you the H-ll alone, right? And by the way if we are supposed to be Superwomen, why aren't we all thin?

Restless Ink said...

You're preachin' to the quire sistah - it's tormenting me that I can't do it ALL. If you find an answer, please let me know!

Anonymous said...

Yes...I regularly try to take on more than I can possibly do in one day/week/month/year/lifetime. We just got a new dog a few days ago and now my "to do" list has come to a grinding halt as I learn how to take care of the dog and teach her not to bark at me. I try to give myself grace and live in the moment as much as possible...it's very hard though!