Monday, January 26, 2009

Beer, Budgets and Bikinis

Beer, budgets and bikinis don’t normally fall into the same sentence, however, they seem to be intertwined in my life right now. Let’s tackle the beer first.

Husband took me to the most fabulous spirits store I’ve ever seen. Yes, I’m talking about a liquor store, but somehow saying that Husband took me to the most fabulous liquor store I’ve ever seen makes me sound like a little bit of a lush and I’m not. No, really, I’m not. I just enjoy great tasting beer and a glass of good wine – not at the same time, of course.

Anyway, if you happen to be a beer, wine or liquor connoisseur and haven’t been to Total Wine you’re so missing out. The selection is extensive, the prices are reasonable and the layout is inviting. So inviting that as Husband and I cruised the isles eyeing the massive selection of beer and wine, we decided to embark on a little tasting mission. Each weekend each of us will choose a new beer or wine to try that we’ve never tasted before. Fun, right? If you’re a beer or wine lover, discovering new tastes is exciting. Side effects are simply an added bonus.

Best of all our new mission is great for our new budget – the new budget that has us being financially responsible now so we can have financial freedom later. It’s the same budget that slashed our entertainment fund in half. It’s definitely less expensive to BYOB (buy your own bottle) than funneling all of your funds to an overpriced restaurant or bar. Since we’ve committed to saving and staying in more our tasting challenge adds an extra kick to a regular night at home.

So, it’s all good, right? Nope, not really. Not for my bikini. Bikini? Yes, the one I’m planning to fit into by my birthday (April 28). Gasp! Since I already decided that beer is not included in a clean eating diet my new little tasting mission screwed up my healthy eating plan. But, then I realized that I function best when I follow the 80/20 rule. If I eat clean and healthy 80 percent of the time – and exercise regularly – I can enjoy some not so healthy things 20 percent of the time and not feel guilty. When I deprive myself I, like most people, eventually binge; but when I consciously treat myself in moderation, I’m normally able to stay on track. Moderation is key here. We’ll see if it works.

Beer, budgets and bikinis. You’ll probably see more posts about all of these things as I continue to taste, save and get healthy. In the meantime, I figured I share this weekend’s beers:

Husband’s pick
Magic Hat, Not Quite Pale Ale

Wifey’s pick

Dogfish Head, Indian Brown Ale

Were they good? Let’s just say there’s only a few left.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great beer choices! Here's to April 28 and your goal. My birthday is April 27, only I don't do bikinis. I'll settle for my slim jeans. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Thanks! What a great birthdate you have. I don't do bikini's YET either, but here's to hoping I will - smiles!