Monday, July 7, 2008

I Won the Peachtree!

Well not really, but that’s what I told my daughter when she met me at the finish line.

“Did you win, mommy?”

“Yes, pumpkin. I didn’t finish first, but I won because I did it!”

The Peachtree is the largest 10K (6.2 miles) road race in the world with more than 55 thousand people participating in it every year. It takes place on the Fourth of July and is the perfect way to prepare for all that good barbeque that’s going to get devoured later in the day.

This was my fifth time running, ahem, jogging in the race and as always it’s a rewarding feat. I didn’t quite realize how challenging it can be until I was half way up cardiac hill – yes, that’s the official name for the largest hill on the race course – and thought, “this is some shit!”

Every year while I’m running down the most famous street in Atlanta, I get recharged, reenergized and reminded that I can do anything I set my mind to. Ten years ago, if you told me I would run 6.2 miles I would have laughed at you and lit up a cigarette. I was the self-proclaimed laziest person on earth and frequently used the word “can’t.” Now, ten years later, smoke free and full of “can” I am living proof that changing your mindset can change your actions, which can change your life.


A fulfilled, but tired Wifey!

How about you? Is there something you’ve recently conquered that you never thought you’d do; or something out there that you’d really like to try? What are you waiting for? Who knows, you just might win the Peachtree, too!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

6 comments:

Mozi Esme said...

Congratulations!

Now I think I will go work on filing 2007 taxes. And my resolution is to file them by April 15 next year - something I never thought I'd do . . .

TerriRainer said...

You are my HERO!

I keep telling myself I'll start excercising and STOP smoking.

You are an example of a strong woman, and your daughter will grow up proud (son too, but it'll mean more to your daughter)!

You set a good example to us ALL, and here's a GIANT pat on the back.

YOU GO GIRL!

:) Terri

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

That's so Awesome! Or "Assome" as Sophie is now saying. :) I'll live vicariously through you, however, because I know for a fact that I would have passed out 1/2 a mile into it. You have a lot to be proud of!

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats :-) That is awesome. I'd like to conquer that clutter that is taking over our garage :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks, ladies. Trust me when I say, "if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!" Smiles!

Skeeter said...

Congrats! What a nice accomplishment and example.

Best wishes,
Skeeter