Friday, December 12, 2008

Where Did My Baby Go?

The conversation during the car ride to school this morning went something like this:

“Mama, I don’t want to wear Spider-man on my underwear anymore.”

That would be my 7-year-old, Miles, informing me of his new choice in undergarments.

Gasp!

That would be me, surprised that Mr. Spider-man himself is ready to give up his webbed drawers.

“You don’t?”

“Nope. No more Spider-man or Transformers.”

“Well what do you want to wear?”

“Boxers!”


A long pause and a few deep breaths.

“OK, but why don’t you want to wear Spider-man anymore?

He thought about how to break it to me gently then said…

“I’m growing up, Mama.”

Right.



Where did my baby go? And, what’s next? At least he still kissed me goodbye before he hopped out the car.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! Boo boo! Well Madison is just dying to wear some Elmo panties. If only she would use the potty....

CP said...

So cute!

My son is actually a boxer wearer and made the switch about the same ages as Miles.

MOMSWEB said...

How sad! My baby boy is ten and he has recently asked for boxers also. He told me he didn't want whitey tighteys anymore. Funny huh? I'm not handling this growing up stuff very well. My oldest just turned 13! I have a 13 year old? Stop this train and let me off!

Lite }{ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lite }{ said...

OMG! Maybe he'll wear Spiderman boxers. I'm sure they make those. What about boxer-briefs? That sounds like a happy medium. I think. }{

www.litefreedomariposas.com

Restless Ink said...

awwww - that's so sad! I don't know what I'm gonna do when Dora starts "growing up". It's fun, but definitely bittersweet.

Anonymous said...

My five year old informed me that he no longer wants to play with his Thomas train set because it's babyish.

Anonymous said...

My son hasn't forsaken his Batman drawers, but he has informed me that he prefers boxer briefs, because "they don't go up in here and here." He's six. Secretly, I'm glad, because I just don't like tightie whities on anybody, and his briefs really are adorable on him. But, it will be hard to deal with the day the superheroes and cartoon characters get banned.

Sheryl said...

They grow up too fast.

Mozi Esme said...

Oh how bittersweet...